Saturday 16 June, 2007

The second post

Sorry for everything on this blog till now... the blog name, the title of the previous post, the post itself... everything and for this post too (to avoid beginning the next post with a sorry note!). I had thought that once I'll start writing ideas will start flowing into my mind. But sadly that is exactly what is not the case. So to keep it simple I'll write about my stay in London. This is the one thing I had thought of not writing about but as it is this is the only thing coming to my mind right now. Quite like I am studying in the IIT I had thought I'll never go!!!
So on 3rd May, I embarked on the journey from Kolkata to London. The feeling was more like, 'this can't be true'. Just 10 hours and 45 min and you are in London, a whole new world, that's what I had thought of it then. Throughout the drive from Heathrow to home I sat absorbing the feeling of 'being in London'. It was as if I had achieved a very remarkable feat (must admit all the euphoria created by friends did contribute a lot). Just a days rest and before I knew it was 7am and I was getting ready to go to office. I was really amusing first few days in the office. While I would be doing some work or chatting some person would drop by and finish all that he had to say before I could come to terms that some one is indeed talkignto me. It was actually kind of fun giving replies as "yes" and "no" just hoping that I had guessed correctly! Through this guess work I got introduced to quite a few people, turned down an offer to go to bar and may be many more things like these. I was also very happy and impressed that I had got a computer as soon as I reached office. (How could I have I ever survived without gtalk n stuff?) I had lunch with my new colleagues, all of whom were post grad or research associates. While all of the other people bought funny looking food, I kept on opening my tiffin-box with ma ke haath ka bana khana. One day I dared to eat as these englishmen did, and believe me it will take a lot of courage to eat any other of their delicacies again. I tried tea and coffee once but those were no better. One very intereseting thing I observed here is the frequency with which people over here use the word "thanks". Once while returning from a lunch we were about 4-5 people coming in a train thanking other person for not letting the door slam on his face. It was a bunch of people walking very fast and thanking each other intermittently!
But the most striking thing I noticed here was the abundance of Indians. On the road, in the tubes, buses, high streets... everywhere you go you find Indians in abundance. Have even seen shops named Palika Bazaar, Chandni Chowk, Popat Stores to name a few.
Yes! a very important part of my training is going on at home. Starting from carrying huge weights of groceries to kneading wheatflour to maaroing jhaadu and pochha.... Even didi had started calling me RAMU!!!(yes apurva you indeed are great!)
So this is almost the end of a very boring description of not so boring life I'm leading here in London. Almost coz, I have just a small incident which I would like to share. Just a gift for all your patience and perseverence.
Earlier today, I had the privilege to go to a bar for a b'day party of a post grad in office. I went there hesitating and expecting. Hesitating because I was invited by the prof and not the b'day boy. Expecting because I hoped to eat or drink something for free. But alas! I reach there and find everyone goes and pays for his own order. I bought a huge glass of cranberries juice costing me 1.45£, amazed that it was really a b'day treat sort of. I lingered on over there for some time taking leave as soon as I was asked for another round of drink!!!

12 comments:

Chinmaya said...

I will not blame you, rather cannot blame you for not warning me that you were about to start a blog ;) !!! You had given me the signals!! Again jokes apart, this one was a real nice narrative. Wow!! With all the training going on at your home You sure will prove a useful wingie!! And sure you will not adopt the English mannerisms of Thank You's and Sorry's, right?? :)

Please, can you please get me amemento from London? from "POPAT STORES" more precisely?? hehehehe

ronsin said...

@chinmaya
Thanks very much for such nice comments... Wing mein sab bhool jaunga... budhape mein waise bhi memory loss ho jaata hai na... :P Ab angrej mannerism etc to chala jayega hopefully... why waste money on popat store... ek diya khareed le 10p ka... yahan lene pe 30 rs lagenge...

Unknown said...

so another one into blogging....yo jhamu or ramu as ur di calls ....paying on ur own in a party is really awesome i cudnt hv imagined of doin so...Thanku fr enlightening us of English mannerism

Garam Samosa said...

Abe start using MS-Word and write the biography of Mahatma Gandhi(refer 2 vinayakzark's blog)..saare sentences disordered lag rahe hain..
ab sab log nice bol rahe hain, so nice narrative...pay karna in a party is like taking the proverbial cherry n the cake n then paying for it..[:)]
Jai Jhamu

ronsin said...

@tak
thanku very much...
@garam samosa
didn't expect this comment from you... was prepared for a very critical comment from you... nice to see you going by the public opinion... and what exactly do you mean by disordered sentences???

sumeet said...

yeh comment bina padhe daal rahe hain... its too long so.. so will post a comment only after reading it... :D

Shailabh said...

hmmm..nice narrative be.But aage bhi continue kar..you have stayed for so many days man..toda ghoom le aur likhta reh.c'mon man..do smthing.. :D

ronsin said...

@shailab
thanks for all the moral boosting and tempo deing...

Kisalay said...

First of all...congrats for getting into the world of bloggers :P

Good..Infact very good.;) Nicely written ! :)

Thank u for using easier words as compared to sat-hu's and loha's blog; I was feeling comfortable while reading. ;)

Keep writing like this...all the best for future blogging.

ronsin said...

@kisalay
thanku for all the good, non-green appreciation... and regading the use of "easier" words... that's all i've got... would like to make you uncomfortable whenever i am able to... :D :P

the full blood prince said...

RAMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU............. i love u too mendak bhrataa.. lage raho.... videsh mein desh ka naam unchaa karo.. tu bharat maa ka ek sachhchha mendak hai.. chahe tu kitna bhi frust likhe.. i'll always b proud of u!! thatha..

ronsin said...

@apurva
thanku bhai... comment k liye... tu jitna bhi gariya le... main to likhunga... :D